THE Provincial Government of Negros Occidental has allotted Php1 million in assistance to victims of the earthquake in Surigao del Norte.

The Provincial Board, during its regular session Wednesday, approved the urgent request of Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. to release the fund intended for the earthquake-hit province.

On Friday, a 6.7 magnitude earthquake rocked the province, mainly its capital Surigao City, which killed at least eight people, injured some 200 others, and left an initial estimated damage of almost P700 million.

Second District Board Member Salvador Escalante Jr., Chairman of the Committee on Appropriations, Budget, Finance, and Ways and Means, said the amount will be sourced from the province’s 2017 Grants and Donations Fund.

“This was certified urgent thus, we are expecting the release of the fund within this week,” Escalante said, adding that it will be sent immediately to the Provincial Government of Surigao del Norte.

Escalante said the Provincial Government has stand-by funds in case such eventualities happen in the province.

Early this month, the Provincial Board approved a P146.80-million fund for various disaster risk reduction programs this year.

It will be sourced from the province’s five percent Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management (PDRRM) fund.

Of the amount, 70 percent or P102.76 million is allocated as mitigation fund. The remaining 30 percent or P44.04 million is for the quick response fund. (With reports from PNA)