JUSTICE Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II said the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) will continue to pursue the carnapping and robbery complaints filed against policemen involved in the abduction and killing of South Korean national Jee Ick-joo.

In a text message on Friday, Aguirre said the NBI has already discussed the letter submitted by Jee's wife, Choi Kyung-jin, asking for the investigative unit to stop probing the carnapping and robbery complaints filed before them against the cops who abducted Jee last October 18.

Aguirre said the investigators are not inclined to withdraw their probe as they are now pursuing leads that will lead to the filing of charges in court.

"Diniscuss na sa NBI 'yan. They are not more or less at this stage na magwithdraw from the case kasi meron silang mga lead na dapat nilang ipursue," Aguirre said.

Choi's legal counsel, Bryan Bantilan, manifested before the panel of prosecutors last Thursday that his client had sent a letter to NBI disclosing her desire to withdraw the complaints she had earlier filed with the agency.

The lawyer did not elaborate the reasons behind the request but when asked after the hearing if the move is because of the alleged involvement of NBI agents in the case, he said "perhaps yes."

On February 2, Aguirre has relived four NBI officials after the revelation of Police Supt. Rafael Dumlao, the alleged mastermind tagged them in the October 18 kidnapping, of their involvement in the crime.

Those relieved were NBI National Capital Region Director Ricardo Diaz; NBI Deputy Director for Investigation Services Jose Yap; NBI Task Force Against Illegal Drugs chief Roel Bolivar; and NBI-NCR head agent Darwin Lising.

The agency is set to submit their findings in the Jee Ick-joo kidnap-slay case on Monday, February 20. (SunStar Philippines)