THE FIRE that razed at least 17 houses Sunday dawn could possibly be caused by an overheated piso-net unit, investigators said.

At 2:45 a.m., residents in Sto. Niño, Tancontian Street, Barangay Agdao Proper, Agdao District woke to see flames engulfing buildings in their area.

The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) Davao Central Fire District recorded 26 families whose homes were lost to the fire.

Danilo Lao, owner of the piso-net unit, admitted he saw a thick smoke belching out from the unit.

"Nakabaho ko'g sunog sa wire ug mi aso ang piso net sa ubos dayon nidako ang kalayo (I smelled burnt wire then I proceeded downstairs to see the unit emitting smoke. The fire started from there)" Lao shared.

The City Social Services and Development Office (CSSDO), on the other hand, already started the Validating Process for the victims of the incident. (Jeepy P. Compio)