THE public transport group Transport of Southern Mindanao for Solidarity, Independence and Nationalism (Transmision-Piston), a transport group based in Southern Mindanao, confirmed that they will not join the nationwide transport strike led by Piston, but they will hold a caravan to raise their concerns.

Transmision-Piston Spokesperson Edwin Fernandez told SunStar Davao Sunday afternoon that their transport caravan will start at 8 o’clock in the morning.

The 30-40 vehicle caravan will go from Magsaysay Park to Cabaguio St, then will proceed to J.P. Laurel Avenue passing Victoria Plaza and Gmall.

The group will then proceed to Elpidio Quirino Avenue, then towards Bankerohan until they will reach the office of the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board office in Matina where they will conduct a picket.

The transport group will also conduct a picket at Land Transportation Office (LTO) along Quimpo Boulevard before proceeding to San Pedro for their final event.

Fernandez said that among the issue they want to raise is the phase out of old jeepneys.

“Naay daghan na jeep ang i-phase out, ug ingon sa LTFRB nga maghatag sila ug ayuda (There is a planned phase out of jeepneys and the LTFRB is planning to give assistance),” he said.

“We are asking Department of Transportation (DOTr) to provide us the draft which will be the basis of the phase out,” he said in vernacular.

Fernandez said that it is in support to the nationwide strike done by Piston.

Piston had earlier said that aside from their protest against the phase-out of old units, they are also protesting the required P7 million minimum capital for jeepney operators and 10 minimum units for each franchise.

Fernandez said they are also raising their long-ago demands on excise tax and to lower the 10% Value Added Tax.

Meanwhile, aside from the caravan, Fernandez said that the Piston group will also participate in the Mindanao Peace Campaign rally which will be staged today by different sectors to push for the peace talks. (KVC)