DAVAO City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio is now considering her next move after New People’s Army (NPA) accepted her offer to talk about peace.
Davao City information officer Jefry Tupas confirmed last Sunday that the mayor already read the response of NPA.
“Right now, she is carefully looking into it and will come up with a statement in the coming days,” Tupas said.
The NPA issued a statement accepting Sara’s offer of peace on Sunday, February 26.
Rigoberto Sanchez, spokesperson for the regional operations command of the NPA-Southern Mindanao, said in a statement that they reciprocate the gesture made by Davao City mayor by suspending for a few hours the NPA operations and ordering any NPA camp in National Democratic Front territories in Davao City and nearby areas to host the talks with her at a mutually agreed date and time.
Duterte-Carpio previously said she is willing to talk to the NPA after the recent clash in the city that resulted in the death of five soldiers.
"In light of the recent events of the third district of Davao City that resulted in the deaths of our fellow Filipinos, I am offering my hand in peace to the New People’s Army," she said.
Duterte-Carpio said her only condition is that she wants to talk with them as a group.
The city mayor said she already planned something for the communist rebels, but she needs to listen to what the NPA has to say.