ILIGAN CITY -- An unidentified male cadaver was recovered by the joint law enforcement team in Ragayan, Poona Bayabao, Lanao del Sur, around 3:30 a.m. Tuesday, February 28.
The team was composed of the 103rd Brigade Philippine Army, 65th Infantry Battalion (IB), Philippine National Police Headquarters Command of Lanao del Sur and Scene Of the Crime Operatives, Provincial Director Police Senior Superintendent Oscar Nantes told SunStar.
Nantes said, based on the information disclosed by the detained suspect of the February 24 carjacking incident Diamen Alonto, the male cadaver recovered was the driver of the Toyota Van D4D that was car napped by Alonto’s group on February 22. The suspect did not elaborate on where did they got the vehicle.
Alonto only described where they buried the cadaver.
Military source said Alonto coincided his statement based on the log book recovered from the possession of the suspect Azam Ampatua along with his unidentified companion believed to be member the Maute local terrorist group who were gunned down in a short firefight by pursuing troops near Macadaar Citizen Armed Force Geographical Unit or Cafgu detachment of 5th IB in Inagongan, Tagoloan, Lanao del Norte.
Ampatua was responsible of the beheading of two sawmill workers from Iligan City on April 11 last year in Butig, Lanao del Sur.
The recovered cadaver was only identified by his family name as Dela Peña wearing maong short pants and black jacket with Nike sign on his t-shirt.
Military source said the log book contained the names of persons they liquidated and to be liquidated including names of some prosecutors.
The military source also said the group was also involved in extortion, kidnapping and car napping.
Nantes urged the public to inform to proper authorities in Iligan City or Lanao del Sur whose relative was missing since February 22.
On February 24, two hours before the carjacking in Iligan City, the local government unit of Linamon conducted a joint law enforcement anti-kidnapping simulation to prevent the occurrence of abduction on September 12 last year that victimized a businesswoman who owned a gasoline station.
The victim was released after negotiation while the suspect was detained at the Lanao del Norte provincial jail.
A metal lockdown mechanism was prepositioned in all exit points as road block in case a crime will occur in the locality particularly kidnapping.
“This is one way of a preventive measure with the support of PNP, military Cafgu and private sectors,” said Mayor Randy Macapil. A curfew hour from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. is in place, added Macapil.