CAGAYAN de Oro City Councilor Zaldy Ocon said on Monday, March 6, other than Limketkai and Sons Inc., someone called his office last week expressing interest to propose a casino but did not reveal who.
Ocon, chair of the committee on games and amusement, said he was not surprised by the sudden interest of other groups since, the moment the City Council opened its doors for hearings on casino, others are also expected to come forward.
“Naay nanawag sa akong office nga gusto mag-apply pud, wala pa ta kahibalo maghulat lang ta, pero ang Limketkai ang mag-apply. We expect this kay (Someone who also wanted to apply called my office, we still don’t know who, but Limketkai will apply. We expected this since once) the moment we opened the application for casino, open na kini sa tanan, dili lang ni para sa Limketkai lang (it is open to all, not only for Limketkai),” he said.
Ocon, however, during the city council session, was ordered to refrain from holding public hearings as the casino issue is forwarded to the committee of the whole.
Vice Mayor Rainier Joaquin Uy was evasive when asked about his stand of the possible opening of a casino establishment.
Uy only said he favors development and for the good of the people but added that he respect those who are also against the proposal.
“Dapat klaro nga pabor ta but wala pay finality kay wala pamay proposal (It should be clear that we are in favor, but there’s still no finality since we don’t have a proposal) but I'm for development and social services,” he said.
“Bisan kinsa, matag isa nay (Anyone and everyone has their own) opinion and we respect that,” Uy added.
Limketkai Sons Inc. is planning to build a casino within its commercial complex and has asked the City Council to pass a resolution "expressing (its) support and no objection to the project."
But the plan has generated strong opposition from various religious groups including the Catholic Church which has announced that it will no longer hold masses inside the Limketkai Mall if the casino will be built.