MALACAÑANG on Sunday welcomed the revival of peace negotiations between the government and the communist group.
In a statement, Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said continuing the peace negotiations shows a good precedent that both parties are in pursuit of just and lasting peace in the country.
"Peace-building, after all, is not the exclusive responsibility of the government. The burden is also shared by those who claim to speak for the underserved," Abella said.
"The resumption of the peace talks is a welcome sign that both sides are in agreement about the common good of the Filipino people," he added.
Abella's statement came after Presidential Adviser on Peace Process Jesus Dureza announced that the peace dialogue would proceed in the first week of April.
Dureza, in a statement released earlier in the day, said the resumption of peace talks was the result of the successful back-channel talks in Utrecht, the Netherlands held last March 10 and 11.
He said the government's peace negotiators had agreed to sign bilateral ceasefire agreement that would benefit all the Filipino people.
The peace talks had been cancelled by President Rodrigo Duterte when the Communist Party of the Philippines, New Peoples Army, and National Democratic Front (CPP/NPA/NDF) ended its truce with the government.
Abella said the government is hoping that the communist leaders will be able to control their people on the ground.
"We remain hopeful that the leadership of the CPP/NPA/NDF can rein in its forces on the ground in reciprocating the efforts of the Duterte administration to move the peace process forward," he said. (SunStar Philippines)