THE Human Rights Victims’ Claims Board (HRVCB) has approved the names of 4,000 victims of Martial law abuses who will receive partial compensation from the government, Malacañang said Tuesday.
Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said the HRVCB had already requested the Department of Budget and Management to release P300 million worth of partial payment of money reparation for Martial law victims.
“The Human Rights Victims’ Claims Board (HRVCB) sped up process of evaluating and releasing of claims of Martial Law victims, as part of its commitment to President Rodrigo Duterte’s goal to expedite the release of the claims,” Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella told reporters.
The HRVCB, an independent quasi-judicial body created through Republic Act 10368, is tasked to recognize and provide reparation to victims of human rights violation committed during the Marcos regime.
The law mandates the release of P10 billion monetary remuneration of Martial law victims.
Abella said the names of 4,000 eligible claimants had been forwarded already to the Office of the Executive Secretary by the HRVCB.
About 2,661 of eligible claimants are "conclusively presumed victims" while 1,339 of them are "new applicants," according to the HRVCB.
He said the claims board committed to distributing 50 percent of the total estimated reparation value due to the first 4,000 eligible claimants.
Abella said the respective reparation the claimants will get depends on the degree of human rights abuse they received, as provided by the points system for the determination of the award.
"The claims board following the point system prescribed the reparation law which came up with a total of P23,567 points to be awarded to the first batch of the claimants," Abella said. (SunStar Philippines)