THE father of the two-year-old boy who was electrocuted wanted the bunkhouse where his son died last Saturday to be demolished.
Jerome Cobrana told SunStar Cebu that the structure, which also acted as a guardhouse, needed to be destroyed to prevent other kids from falling victim like what happened to his youngest son, Jerdick.
“The place is like a playground for kids. It’s not safe anymore,” he said.
Jerdick’s wake was just a walk away from where he was killed by the strong surge of electricity from the bunkhouse.
His three-year-old sister, Cherry Anne, who also suffered electric shocks was released from the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC) and is already in good condition.
The Homicide Section said it was a temporary source of power to construction workers building a condominium nearby.
Cobrana said the contractor’s management already reached out to him by providing financial assistance and paying for his son’s burial and their hospital expenses.
“I just settled the incident so that I can bury my child,” Cobrana said. He is jobless.
Tisa Barangay Captain Philip Zafra, in an interview with SunStar Cebu, said that they conducted their own investigation and ruled that it was an accident.
“I appeal to the parents to always keep an eye on their children and prevent them from coming up the area,” Zafra said.
Zafra said the place was guarded to keep children from straying into the construction site.
The contractor adjusted the wires so that these won’t get stuck to the poles of the bunkhouse, Zafra said.
Notices with the words “CAUTION!!! GROUNDED AREA KEEP DISTANCE” and “PAHIBALO!!! GINADILI ANG PAGDOOL DINHING DAPITA KAY ADUNA KINIY LIVE NGA KURYENTE!!!” printed on short bondpapers have already been posted in the bunkhouse.