Thursday July 19, 2018

1,400 secondary students employed in gov't summer program

THE first batch of the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) beneficiaries will start working on Monday, April 17.

Mayor Maria Isabelle Climaco-Salazar said the beneficiaries consist of 1,400 secondary school students, who have undergone orientation last week.

Salazar said they will work for a period of 20 days and each will receive a daily salary of P296, representing the 60 percent share of the local government.

SPES is a joint undertaking of local government units (LGUs) and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

The LGUs will shoulder 60 percent of the salary of the beneficiaries while DOLE will pay the remaining 40 percent.

SPES is aimed to help poor but deserving students pursue their education by providing income or augment their income through encouraging their employment during summer or Christmas vacations.

Salazar said the students will be deployed to the different villages and government offices starting Monday, April 17.

She said they will be performing various work programs to include clean and green and beautification projects, surveys, barangay data updating, janitorial activities and office clerical jobs. (Bong Garcia/SunStar Philippines)