A SENIOR fire officer in Cagayan de Oro City is urging restaurants occupying in malls to regularly conduct maintenance works in their chimneys to prevent fire incidents to happen.
Senior Fire Officer 1 (SFO1) Dennis Dales made this call after a minor fire incident transpired at Gerry's grill at the second floor of Centrio Ayala Mall in the city last Sunday, May 14.
The fire incident was reported at 8:27 p.m. It was contained at 9:00 p.m.
Initial investigation disclosed that the fire started on the chimney at the kitchen area of the restaurant. The dust particles accumulated and stocked at the chimney apparently blended with the hot temperature of the grilling machine that may have ignited the fire.
"Gamay ra nga sunog sa panghaw sa Gerry's grill gumikan sa mga dust particles unya posible nga gumikan sa kainit sa sugbahan. Sa kitchen portion kay didto man ang ilang grill area unya naay may mosuyop sa aso padulong sa gawas," Dales said.
The fire caused P1,500 damage to structure excluding the damages of the prepared foods and other stocks.
Dales advised restaurant management to frequently conduct maintenance works on the chimneys even if it will cost more overhead expenses.
"Ang gilay-on sa ilang paglimpyo is twice a month unya May 2 sila last naglimpyo pero kung regular unta mas maayo."
Dales said it took them about 33 minutes to extinguish the fire, owing to the difficulty of the passage way.
"Mga 33 minutes ang pagpalong nato sa kalayo kay didto man agion gud sa kisame," Dales said.