THE four Malabon cops facing charges before the Department of Justice (DOJ) for robbery-extortion, kidnapping among other crimes reiterated that the alleged kidnap victim Norma Adrales was "legally held" under detention following her arrest in a legitimate anti-drug operation.
Earlier slapped with charges for robbery-extortion, kidnapping, carnapping and violation of Section 29 (planting of evidence) of the R.A 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 are SPO2 Ricky Pelicano, PO2 Wilson Sanchez, PO1 Joselito Ereneo and PO1 Frances Camua for the abduction of Adrales in Malabon City last week.
In a preliminary investigation on Monday, the four submitted their joint counter-affidavit before Assistant State Prosecutor Suzan Azarcon, denying the complaints filed against them by the Philippine National Police Counter-Intelligence Task Force (PNP-CITF) lodged with the DOJ last Tuesday.
Adrales, said to be a partner of a detainee at the National Bilibid Prison (NBP), earlier claimed that the suspects kidnapped her, stole her valuables including her van, and extorted from her P1 million.
She further disclosed that the police officials also asked her to negotiate with a Chinese drug supplier for one kilo of shabu in exchange for her release.
The suspects refuted the complainant's claims.
In their counter-affidavit, the four Malabon police said Adrales was not kidnapped and that they "lawfully performed their duties as police officers when they arrested the complainant on May 22."
They alleged that Adrales committed offenses related to illegal drug trade, particularly violation of Section 5 and 11 of RA 9165 known as the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.
The suspects also denied their superiors' claims that they do not have any knowledge about the operation. This can be proven, they said, by the pre-operation report signed by PSI Bobby Mario Esgera and Superintendent John Chua of the Malabon police.
"The pre-operation report and coordination form will confirm that our superiors are well-aware of our operation contrary to their claims in their respective affidavit that they were not duly informed of any pending police operation against Norma Adrales."
The suspects urged the DOJ to dismiss the complaints filed against them as there was no kidnapping ever committed against Adrales.
They also added that as police conducting legitimate operation, they are allowed to confiscate valuables relative to the commission of the crime.
The suspects also cited inconsistencies in the affidavit of Adrales and two other private complainant Shirly Cadorna and Jesus Martinez.
The charges against the cops are now submitted for resolution according to Azarcon.
Another preliminary probe, however, was scheduled.
This will be for the other cops involved with charges for the same crimes, namely: SPO2 Gerry Dela Torre, PO3 Michael Angelo Diaz Solomon, PO3 Luis Tayo Hizon Jr, PO2 Michael Papa Huerto, PO1 Jovito Roque Jr, PO1 Ricky Alix Lamcen, and PO3 Bernandino Pacoma.
The suspects, earlier declared at large, surrendered before the PNP last Friday.
The preliminary investigation is set on June 5 at 10 a.m. (SunStar Philippines)