THE Armed Forces of the Philippines Eastern Mindanao Command (Eastmincom) said that there would be "no let up" in their offensive operations against the New People's Army (NPA) with or without the implementation of martial law.
Eastmincom Deputy Commander Brigadier General Gilbert Gapay told reporters on Wednesday, May 31, during the weekly AFP-PNP press forum at The Royal Mandaya Hotel that they would continue in their counter-insurgency tactical operations against the communist rebels in the wake of martial law declared by President Rodrigo Duterte last week.
"No let up itong pag-address ng problem with the NPA and we will do this with or without martial law," he said.
He added that in the area of responsibility of the Eastmincom, they have ongoing 16 major operations.
"Aside from martial law functions, we continue to protect communities. If we may note, tuloy-tuloy pa rin ang kanilang panununog ng mga equipment ng ibat-ibang business entities and extortion activities," he added.
The National Democratic Front of the Philippines had earlier directed its armed wing to intensify its offensives as resistance to the martial law.
There have been reported encounters in Matanao, Davao del Sur, Bukidnon and Paquibato area all under the Eastmincom command responsibility.