ANGELITO Cañete, 40, of the City of Naga, Cebu, thought that working in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia was a dream come true.
Cañete, who worked as a steel erector for four years, was reportedly promised by his employer to receive a monthly salary of P25,000.
For several years, the company made good its promise.
However, in January 2016, Cañete’s employer started to skip paying him and his fellow Filipino workers reportedly because of money problems.
From January to November last year, Cañete and his fellow overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) had to work without pay.
Cañete had to work part-time in a canteen to support his daily needs, while some of his fellow OFWs resorted to scavenging to survive.
“Naa mi’y kauban nga namasura na lang para makakaon,” Cañete said.
With the help of President Rodrigo Duterte’s administration, Cañete returned home almost empty-handed in January this year.
The Cebu Provincial Government provided Cañete and 19 other OFWs with P20,000 financial assistance.
Gov. Hilario Davide III and Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale held the turnover of financial assistance to the 20 OFWs last Monday.
The Provincial Board approved a resolution for the OFWs’ cash assistance last year.
Cañete said that he would use the money to put up a business to support his family.
He said he wants to focus his time on his family before deciding to work abroad.