Bohol official arrested for 'kidnapping, killing wife'

CEBU (Updated) -- A Provincial Board member in Bohol was arrested on Thursday, June 8, for his alleged involvement in the "kidnapping" and "killing" of his wife.

Board Member Niño Rey Boniel reportedly kidnapped his wife, Gisela Boniel, the mayor of Bien Unido, Bohol; and Angela Leyson, the friend of the mayor; and Leyson’s teenage son.

Mayor Boniel was shot by the board member's younger sibling, according to Niño Rey's "extrajudicial confession" to Police Regional Office Central Visayas Director Noli Taliño.

Taliño has not yet confirmed this though.

But Leyson, in an interview, confirmed that Gisela was dead.

Leyson said Niño Rey and Gisela have not been in good terms for a long time and the latter wanted to leave since she knew she's just being used for her position as the mayor of Bien Unido.

Leyson said around 5 to 6 p.m. of June 6, she and the mayor were driven from Tubigon back to Bien Unido by a certain Wilson Juliar, Brian and their driver named Randel.

They arrived in a dive camp in Bien Unido and stayed there.

She added that around 2 a.m. of June 7, six to eight people entered the room where she and the mayor were sleeping.

One of the men pointed a gun to her head, wrapped her face with duct tape, tasered her neck, and stomped onto her until she kneeled.

"I know it was Niño Rey Boniel because his nickname is In-In. Sabi ni Gisel (the mayor), 'In-in, ayaw In,' (Gisel said, ‘In-in, don’t do it In,’) and then they were about to kill me. 'In ayaw si Lalay (Leyson). Naa ang iyang anak sa pikas kwarto,' (‘In-in don’t kill Lalay. Her son is staying in the other room’)," said Leyson.

She added that she and her son were driven in a separate vehicle to Tubigon while she was handcuffed and duct taped in the mouth.

One of their kidnappers confessed that they were the ones who take care of those who destroy the name of the Boniel family.

Niño Rey, meanwhile, did not confirm nor deny the allegation. He said his lawyer will be the one to answer to it.

The board member is now in the custody of the Regional Intelligence Division after he was flown from Bohol to the Police Regional Office-Central Visayas. (With Jo Ann Sablad/SunStar Philippines)

style="display:block; text-align:center;"


SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!