THE Zamboanga City officials on Monday, June 12, clarified that the disruption in mobile services experienced by Globe subscribers was not because of a signal shutdown but due to a fiber cut along the Iligan-Tubod area.
The announcement came after netizens vented their ire on the local government for the inconvenience they experienced saying the public should have been informed about the supposed shutdown.
Mayor Maria Isabelle Climaco-Salazar said neither the City Government nor the security sector has requested for a signal shutdown otherwise proper announcements would have been made prior to the Independence Day activities that lasted from 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., Monday.
The disruption in mobile services started around 7:30 a.m. and lasted until 2:30 p.m.
The City Government was not officially informed about the fiber cut though efforts had been made to reach the telecommunication company concerned.
Salazar said a check with the internet led to the site where the cause of the interruption is detailed.
In a public advisory, Globe said that customers in Basilan, Camiguin, Zamboanga, Misamis Occidental and Oriental, Lanao, Tawi-Tawi and Sulu, may be experiencing a disruption of mobile services due to a fiber cut that happened as a result of Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) operations working on a drainage project in Iligan.
Globe identified Lanao Builders as the DPWH contractor that caused the service disruption. (Bong Garcia/SunStar Philippines)