GOVERNMENT forces rescued on Tuesday morning five civilians and five policemen trapped in one of the Maute group’s area of concentration in Marawi City.

Joint Task Force Marawi commander Major General Rolando Joselito Bautista said based on the accounts of the five rescued civilians, they were trapped in a house along with 13 others when suspected bandits knocked on their door, prompting them to run away using the backdoor going to the river.

However, the armed men ran after them and fired shots at them that resulted in the killing of five persons and the abduction of the eights others.

“The five newly rescued civilians were immediately given food, medical help and were processed by the AFP together with the local government units,” he said.

Earlier, Police Regional Office of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao director Reuben Theodore Sindac said five policemen were among the six cops who reportedly ran out of ammunition in Bangolo area, which is a stronghold of the Maute terror group.

He said the trapped police officers had been in continuous contact with their commander but the rescue was delayed due to the ongoing firefight.

The police officers will undergo interview before being transferred to infirmary.

The total number rescued civilians is now at 1,623 while recorded killed civilians by the rebel is 26. (SunStar Philippines)