TWO policemen from Cebu City Police Station 2, formerly Fuente Police Station, were relieved from their posts, following the murder and grave misconduct charges filed against them before the Office of the Ombudsman-Visayas last Tuesday.

Senior Supt. Marciano Batiancela Jr., officer-in-charge of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO), said he issued the relief order yesterday afternoon.

PO2s Raymonito Mesa and Manuel Sejano, together with Chief Insp. Wildemar Tiu, are facing criminal and administrative charges in relation to the death of 11-year-old Chastity Mirabiles.

But Tiu, former chief of Police Station 2, will continue reporting to work at the Regional Operations and Plans Division (ROPD) of Police Regional Office (PRO) 7.

Senior Supt. Rey Lyndon Lawas, acting directorial staff chief of PRO 7, said he did not see the need to relieve Tiu from his new assignment despite the charges he is facing.

Dili siya kinahanglan i-relieve unless ang complainant mo-file (We don’t need to relieve him unless the complainant would file) or request for his preventive suspension,” Lawas told Sun.Star Cebu.

Lawas said that the need to suspend an accused police officer can be assessed by the ombudsman once the complainant will ask for it.

Tiu has been assigned at the ROPD a few days after he voluntarily stepped down from his post as chief of Police Station 2, so that he can help for the planning of security details for the upcoming Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Cebu.

Mesa and Sejano, on the other hand, will start reporting to the administrative office of the CCPO headquarters on Gorordo Ave. today, Batiancela said.

Ari lang sa sila diri sa (They’ll be staying temporarily in our) headquarters,” Batiancela said.

A child witness earlier identified Mesa as the one who allegedly kicked Chastity in her face and other parts of her body, while Sejano was driving the patrol car on April 5.

Police Station 2 officer-in-charge David In a separate interview, Señor said Mesa and Sejano were assigned as patrol officers on Gen. Maxilom Ave. for two years.

Tiu was charged with grave misconduct and obstruction of apprehension and prosecution of criminal offenders after he allegedly used a false witness to clear his name, according to the National Bureau of Investigation 7.