LINGAYEN, Pangasinan -- The number of violence against women in the province for the first three months this year declined by 49 percent, or 134 cases recorded from January to March 21 as compared to 263 cases in the same period last year.
Pangasinan Police Provincial Office Women and their Children Protection Desk Police Chief Inspector Genevieve Poblete said in an interview with the Philippine News Agency (PNA) that rape cases decreased to 15 this year from 23 last year while acts of lasciviousness with 11 cases this year compared to 20 last year.
However, cases of attempted rape increased this year with four cases recorded compared to three in 2017.
There were no reports of sexual harassment and mail-order bride incidents this year, as compared to one sexual harassment and 50 mail-order bride incidents last year, said Poblete.
In addition, recorded cases of violation of Republic Act (RA) 9262 otherwise known as “The Anti-Violence Against Women and their Children Act of 2004” from January to March this year were also reduced by 23 percent compared to the data of the same period last year, Poblete said.
She also said that this year, the number of violent acts covered within RA 9262 declined as compared to last year's data.
Poblete explained that physical abuse cases this year dwindled from 106 to 61; psychological abuse decreased from 38 to 24; economic abuse from 17 to 16 and sexual abuse from three to only one this year.
Several intervention programs and projects for the victims include livelihood training, dialogue and counseling.
To prevent violence against women and children, Poblete said the implementation of minor’s curfew hour is strictly implemented, anti-illegal drug prevention and police visibility and lecture/training on basic self-defense. (PNA)