SECTIONS
Wednesday, September 18, 2019

P20-M aid for Hinobaan residents displaced by industrial zone

THE Negros Occidental Provincial Government has allocated P20-million assistance for the residents of Hinobaan town who will be displaced by the proposed industrial zone.

During the regular session Wednesday, July 12, members of the Provincial Board approved the resolution authorizing Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. to sign the memorandum of agreement between the province and the Hinobaan Municipal Government for the purchase of the 14-hectare resettlement area for the affected residents of the Southern Negros Industrial Estate in Barangay Bacuyangan.

The P20 million will be sourced from this year’s Capitol’s 20 percent Provincial Development Fund-Grants and Donations.

Vice Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson said that if the amount is not enough, the Hinobaan Municipal Government is expected to take care of the counterpart, adding that they have one year to implement the project.

He said the Municipal Government is looking to give 200 square meters to each family.

The vice governor said the initial count of families affected were 187, but “there could be more.”

He added that the 14-hectare resettlement area could accommodate about 500 families.

Moreover, Lacson said the Provincial Board has yet to take up the ordinance creating the industrial zone.

“We have not touched the issues (concerning the proposed industrial zone),” adding that another meeting tackling the industrial zone will be set so that issues and concerns will be addressed.

He said he is hoping to have the meeting by the first week of August with the executives of Japan-based Tsuneishi Heavy Industries Inc.

Lacson said the Japanese firm is interested to develop the southern Negros town as part of their expansion program in the country.

Late last year, Marañon and the executives of Tsuneishi signed a memorandum of understanding in Japan for the construction of the shipbuilding facility in Barangay Bacuyangan. The signing was witnessed by President Rodrigo Duterte.

Marañon had said the $300-million facility is expected to start its construction this year.

Meanwhile, the Provincial Government is also looking to create an office to manage the estate and facilitate the documentary requirements.
style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">



style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="4158864647">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph