SECTIONS
Monday July 16, 2018
CEBU

Structures encroaching on highways to be demolished

ROAD BLOCKS. DPWH says it will clear national highways of any form of obstruction, like these tricycles in Talisay that use a portion of the highway as their parking area. (SunStar Photo / Allan Cuizon)

THE Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) has urged those who are encroaching on the national highways to voluntarily remove their structures or these will demolished.

DPWH 7 Director Ador Canlas said they are determined to take away all obstructions along major roads this year because of the rapid implementation of “Build, Build, Build” projects of President Rodrigo Duterte by January 2019.

Canlas said there are two classifications of obstruction.

First are “doable obstructions” or visible obstructions such as illegally parked vehicles, vendors, illegal terminals, and other temporary structures that can immediately be removed. Second are “long-term” ones, which include semi-permanent, fixed or concrete structures, the removal of which will require legal procedures.

He said that DPWH 7 and District Engineering Offices (DEOs) will organize a technical staff of engineers to coordinate with local government units (LGUs).

Canlas said this is needed especially for clearing long-term obstructions.

He said the technical staff will regularly check the cleared areas and prevent evicted, removed or dismantled structures from being rebuilt.

Last week, Canlas and Jonathan Tumulak, the focal person on traffic of the Cebu Provincial Government, met to discuss how to remove all encroachments on national highways. (EOB)


VIEW COMMENTS