POLICE has freed a Chinese-Filipino businessman, who was arrested for illegal possession of ammunition, after the businessman was able to post bail.
Suspect Jay Tan got out from jail on P200,000 bail he made on Tuesday morning, August 15.
Chief Inspector Ariel Philip Pontillas, City Intelligence Unit chief, however said the City Prosecutor's Office has already elevated the case to the court for illegal possession of ammunition.
"About sa iyang liberty right man sa individual to post bail so we respect it," Pontillas said.
Tan was arrested in a joint police operation led by Pontillas by virtue of a search warrant on Thursday night, August 10.
Operatives seized a number of sacks full of spent bullets and live ammunition of high-powered firearms inside a junk shop owned by Tan located at V. Castro street in Carmen village.
Confiscated from Tan were 13 rounds of 7.62mm bullets; 23 rounds of 5.56mm live ammo; 15 rounds of caliber .50 ammo; five pieces short magazine of M16; one long magazine of M16; two sacks of empty shells of caliber .50; and 129 pieces spent shells of 40mm.
Pontillas said the suspect, who is running the scrap trading business in the city for 10 years, has been insisting that he has no knowledge why the seized bullets were stored inside the junk shop.
Authorities have received information that the confiscated bullets may be coming from the cities of Marawi and Iligan and were supposedly intended to be delivered to Davao City and its neighboring areas via Cagayan de Oro City.
Pontillas said they continue validating the said information adding that they have yet to establish the suspect's possible connections to any group.
"Kamulo pa mi validate sa information nga among nadawat. So far, wala man noon information nga connected si Tan to any group," Pontillas said.