ENVIRONMENTAL group Green Alert Network (GAN) questioned the move of the Provincial Board (PB) of Negros Occidental in approving the P20-million financial assistance to the Municipal Government of Hinoba-an.
Citing Resolution No. 0596 Series of 2017, the group said the amount was intended for the purchase of the proposed relocation site for families that may be affected by the establishment of Southern Negros Industrial Estate (SNIE).
In a letter to PB Secretary Maki Angel Ascalon dated August 13, a copy of which was furnished to the media Tuesday, August 15, GAN coordinator Randy James Rojo said they would like to know why the PB passed such resolution pending the creation of SNIE.
The PB does not have any of the documents related to the project, Rojo said.
GAN had earlier made an inquiry on the issue of the shipyard and recycling project that the Provincial Government recently endorsed.
On August 11, the group said they received a response from Ascalon stating that “the proposed ordinance creating the estate expropriation of the lots in Barangay Bacuyangan is still pending with the committee on laws.”
GAN said that part of the reply said: “The Sangguniang Panlalawigan (Provincial Board) is currently not in possession of project proposals, blue prints, project location maps, or master plan of the Hinoba-an shipyard and recycling project, as these documents have yet to be forwarded to us.”
The group requested from the PB documents pertaining to size of the families affected, area of land to be purchased, and allocated area for each family.
GAN also asked whether the area is payable by the families, though home mortgage and finance, and livelihood projects for the affected communities.
Last August 10, Hinoba-an Mayor Ernesto Estrao received from Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. the P20-million check for the purchase of a resettlement area.