SECTIONS
Sunday, August 25, 2019

Death toll in Bulacan drug raids rises to 32

THE death toll in the single day intense anti-drug operations in Bulacan province has risen to 32, police said Wednesday.

Senior Superintendent Romeo Caramat, Bulacan police director, said the 66 anti-narcotics operations they conducted from 12 midnight Tuesday until 12 midnight Wednesday had left 32 suspected drug personalities killed and 107 were arrested.

Caramat said that they conducted 44 drug busts, served 14 search warrants and one arrest warrant, and installed two check points.

Five drug personalities were killed in Malolos City, while Norzagaray and Sta. Maria towns had three each. Casualties were also reported in the towns of Balagtas (1), Baliwag (1), Bulakan (1), Calumpit (1), Guiguinto (2), Obando (2), Pandi (1), Plaridel (2), Pulilan (1), San Ildefonso (1), and San Miguel (1).

Caramat said of the 32 drug suspects killed, 16 were listed on the Philippine National Police (PNP) drugs watch-list, two were former surrenderees in the PNP's Oplan Tokhang, while 14 others were newly identified drug peddlers.

"Some quarters of the society (they are questioning) bakit ganoon kadami 'yung namatay my answer is we don't have the control of the situation. As much as possible we wanted to remove those elements that would lead us to bloody encounter," Caramat said.

The anti-drug operations resulted in the arrest of 107 suspected drug personalities and the recovery of P1.174 million worth of shabu, 765 grams of marijuana leaves, 34 assorted firearms, two grenades and 114 live ammunitions.

Caramat confirmed that it is the highest death toll in a single day since President Rodrigo Duterte launched his war on drug last year.

The Bulacan police chief said they will cooperate in any investigation that will be conducted in connection with the simultaneous raids.

"I have nothing to worry, alam naman namin wala kaming ginawang masama. We are confident on the legality of our operations," he said.

"We know that we have done nothing wrong but of course there are some sectors that might investigate us but we are ready and open for any investigation," he added.

He said the PNP Internal Affairs Service (IAS) is already conducting their investigation in different police stations in Bulacan.

Earlier in the day, Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said the PNP would investigate the simultaneous anti-drug operations in Bulacan to ensure that there is no foul play. (SunStar Philippines)
style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">



style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="4158864647">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph