Spain says man slain by cops was terror driver

BARCELONA, Spain -- Spanish police said they have "scientific evidence" that a fugitive shot to death Monday was the man who drove a van through Barcelona's crowded Las Ramblas promenade, killing 13 people last week.

Authorities said 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub flashed what turned out to be a fake suicide belt at two troopers who shot him in a vineyard not far from the city he terrorized.

Abouyaaqoub's brother and friends made up the rest of the 12-man extremist cell, along with an imam who was one of two people killed in what police said was a botched bomb-making operation.

Four are under arrest and eight are dead, including five shot by police Friday in the seaside town of Cambrils, where a second van attack killed one pedestrian. (AP)
style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">



style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="4158864647">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph