A 54-YEAR-OLD man died, while seven other people were hospitalized after eating stewed puffer fish in Barangay Liburon, Carcar City.
Federito Solon of Sitio San Roque died at the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC) at 9 p.m. last Wednesday.
Solon’s death certificate stated that he died due to “uncal herniation secondary to cerebrovascular disease bleed right basal ganglia.”
Barangay Liburon Chief William Racoma told SunStar Cebu that Solon and seven of his friends recently came from a fishing trip and decided to cook the fish they caught in the house of Jerry Raagas, a neighbor, last Tuesday night.
Among the fishes they caught was a four-kilogram Panabugan, a type of puffer fish.
Solon and his friends decided to use the puffer fish as their main ingredient for Linarang, a sour and spicy seafood stew.
Just hours after eating the fish, Solon’s family called the barangay, asking for medical assistance after he complained of chest pains and shortness of breath.
He was immediately brought to VSMMC but he died just a day after he was admitted.
Solon’s seven other friends, including Raagas, meanwhile, were admitted at the Carcar City District Hospital after experiencing shortness of breath and developed some rashes. They survived and have been declared out of danger.
Racoma said of the eight people who ate the fish, only Solon and Raagas suffered the worst symptoms after eating the puffer fish’s bihod or “fish roe” and liver.
Dr. Alan Poquita, Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources 7 director, warned the public from eating any type of puffer fish because of its poisonous toxin content.
He said that while some species of puffer fish have toxins that the body can tolerate, those who love to eat them must not be complacent.