THE Public Employment Service Office (Peso) will be opening its third wave of the JobStart Philippines program on Friday, August 25, urging the unemployed youths to apply.
Peso Manager Kathleen Kate Sorilla said they are accepting applicants starting Friday and on August 29 and 30 at the Peso office, 2nd floor, City Hall, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Applicants who are 18 to 24 years old may do so as long as he or she is a resident of the city, a high school graduate, currently in college or a college graduate.
Last year, Sorilla said that 46 “jobstarters” out of 100 have graduated from the first batch in 2016, and 16 of them have been directly absorbed by the companies who trained them.
The jobstarters will undergo life skills training to learn the necessary tools and skills to be work-ready.
After the training, they will be assigned to do their internship with the “matched” partner establishments in the city.
JobStart-funded technical training is up to three months.
While on their internship, the interns will receive at least 75% of the minimum wage in the city or municipality. In turn, employers monitor and provide feedback on performance of interns.
It can be recalled that the Department of Labor and Employment-Northern Mindanao, the Bureau of Local Employment, the city government of Cagayan de Oro, Asian Development Bank through the financial assistance of the government of Canada, have signed a Memorandum of Undertaking last August 24, 2015 at SEDA Hotel, Cagayan de Oro City, for the implementation of JobStart Philippines in the city.
JobStart aims to assist young Filipinos with career development pathways by creating opportunities to improve their technical skills and develop the life skills necessary for success in today’s competitive workplace through partnership with employers.
The first batch of JobStart program was conducted last May 2016, while the second one was in January 2017.