PO1 Christopher Ruiz Jr. died after he reportedly touched a live wire to allow a fellow trainee to pass through in a police camp in Sibonga, Cebu last Monday morning.

The wire was blocking the rookie police officers who were doing exercises.

Senior Supt. Clifford Gairanod, Regional Public Safety Batallion (RPSB) 7 chief, said the trainees waded in a pond near St. Joseph Chapel before the incident happened past 10 a.m.

The wire had been dangling from an electrical post and was blocking the way.

Gairanod refused to divulge further details as the investigation is ongoing.

This, as PO1 Ruiz’s lawyer-father, Christopher Sr., planned to tap the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) 7 to conduct a separate inquiry.

He also requested the bureau’s medico-legal officer Dr. Rene Cam to do the autopsy on his son.

Atty. Ruiz, a former police officer, wants to “clear everything and stop the speculation” surrounding his son’s death.

NBI 7 Assistant Director Augusto Eric Isidoro said they will investigate the incident after they will receive a request from Atty. Ruiz.

Gairanod said he welcomes any investigation.

He has requested the National Police Commission 7 and Regional Investigation and Detective Management Division to look into the incident.

“I also subjected myself to investigation,” said Gairanod in a phone interview.

Atty. Ruiz last talked to his son last Sunday night. They two talked about the “reception” the new trainees got at the camp.

Kon kahibawo pa ko last na namo tong estorya, wala na lang ta nako siya dalia-dalia (Had I known it was our last conversation, I shouldn’t have cut it short),” said Atty. Ruiz, who broke down while being interviewed by reporters.

He said he cut his conversation with his son short so the latter can take a rest early.

Gairanod said the term “reception” is what they use to refer to how trainees are welcomed in the camp.

He said the trainees undergo a series of exercises. No hazing is involved.

The exercises are part of “internal security operation” training, one aim of which is to fight insurgents.

Atty. Ruiz said his family was not properly briefed by any RPSB 7 official about his son’s death.

Gairanod said Senior Insp. Flaviano Atuel was supposed to call the elder Ruiz and informed him about the incident.

But Atty. Ruiz called first to inquire about his son’s state.

Atuel replied that they brought PO1 Ruiz to South General Hospital in Naga City, where the rookie policeman was pronounced dead.