THE Bacolod City Police Office (BCPO) is seeking a gun ban and cellular phone signal jamming during the highlights of the MassKara Festival next month.
Senior Superintendent Jack Wanky, acting director of BCPO, said in a press conference on Friday they are finalizing the financial requirement and security plan, which includes the banning of firearms and temporary shutting down of network services from all telecommunication companies.
“We will define the personal requirements needed to make it possible,” he added.
Wanky said they will request to temporarily shut down mobile phone services during daytime only during the celebration to prevent big threats like signal detonated bombs.
Last year, the BCPO also tried to do the same but it did not push through because the assessment team did not see any major threat.
Although the chance of bomb threat is low, Wanky said they will try to work it out this year, but the approval will still depend on the National Telecommunications Commission.
Moreover, Wanky said they will deploy at least 600 policemen for the festivity set from October 1 to 22.
Aside from the existing BCPO personnel, about 200 augmentation forces from the Negros Occidental Provincial Police Office and Police Regional Office-18 will also be deployed.
Wanky assured the Bacolodnons of a safe and peaceful MassKara Festival.