THE Philippine government has joined the international community in condemning the deadliest shooting in a music festival in Las Vegas, Nevada that has reportedly claimed the lives of at least 59 people and injured 527 others.
In a press conference, Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said the Philippines condoled with the families of victims of the mass shooting during the Route 91 Harvest Festival, a three-day country music event.
"We join the peace-loving people of the international community in denouncing this latest act of violence," said Abella.
"We extend our deepest condolences to the families of a more than 50 victims who died because of the mass shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada. We likewise pray for the speedy recovery of the more than 500 people who are reported injured," he added.
According to reports, a lone gunman fired across the street from the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino and the Las Vegas Strip late Sunday, killing 59 people and injuring 527 others attending a country music festival.
Abella said the Philippine Consulate General had informed the Philippine government that there were no Filipino casualties.
He said the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) had already instructed Consul General Adelio Angelito Cruz to look into the condition of the 131,000 members of the Filipino community in Las Vegas, which is also a popular tourist destination for Filipinos.
"Nonetheless, the DFA has instructed Consul General Adelio Angelito Cruz to immediately proceed to Las Vegas to look into the condition of our fellow countrymen, as well as Filipino tourists who happened to be in the area during and at the time of the shooting incident and who may need assistance," he said.
In a separate statement, Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano extended condolences to the families of victims of mass shooting in Las Vegas.
"Our thoughts and prayers ware with the American people today," the Philippines' top diplomat said. (SunStar Philippines)