BACOLOD City Administrator John Orola said Thursday, October 5, he was directed by Mayor Evelio Leonardia to start the clearing of the city’s sidewalks of squatters and the danger zones with dwellings.
“On many occasions, we have already warned these informal settlers. We are on our way, as a matter of fact, we have started already clearing some streets,” Orola said.
Negros Occidental Governor Alfredo Marañon had earlier asked the officials of Bacolod City to clear the city's roads of squatters.
Marañon said some of the settlers have occupied half of the streets which have caused road congestion, especially along San Juan Street going to Barangay Banago.
Orola said they have started measuring the area from San Juan Street going to Barangay Banago, and the schedule of the demolition will be set by the City Legal Office.
He said they will distribute notices to the affected families that they are occupying illegal structures and under the law these can be removed at any time.
“Since we are considering their situation, we are giving them a certain period of time to dismantle their structures, especially those that are along the roads,” Orola added.
The City Government will also provide a relocation site for the informal settlers.
“We have to provide them adequate housing facilities, but those who are putting up structures that are extension of their houses and make it a business establishment, there is no way. They have to remove the structure," Orola said.