SENATOR Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said Monday his political party will help him decide whether to seek re-election or higher office in 2016.

“It’s a party decision what we are going to do. It’s not something that I can dictate to the Nacionalista Party,” said Marcos, an NP member, in a forum.

“The NP will have to find consensus as to what we are going to do as a party, which will more or less give an idea of what I should do or can do,” he added.

Marcos, who is keeping his options open for 2016 elections, stressed that any candidate running for a national position needs the support of a political party.

He added that a candidate cannot run a successful national campaign without party machinery.

Since the current political situation is still very fluid, the senator said the NP has yet to firm up its 2016 plans.

“We have come to a different kind of political cycle now,” Marcos noted, wherein parties do not have clear plans yet less than a year before the May 2016 elections.

Marcos said this is the reason why no political party, including the administration Liberal Party, has come up with candidates for president and vice president.

Aside from Marcos, other NP members seeking for higher posts are Senators Antonio Trillanes IV and Alan Peter Cayetano.

Trillanes declared last week that he is "100-percent sure” to run for the vice presidency even without the support of NP. (Sunnex)