SAN FERNANDO CITY, La Union –Police regional director issued a reminder warning candidates to “stick to the Comelec (Commission on Elections) rules” with regards to gun band and detail of police security personnel.

“Do you want us (police) to go to you? Or you go to us? If we are the ones who will go to you, we will apply the necessary procedures.  We are going to apply search warrant and warrant of arrest. Kung ikaw ang pupunta, mas maganda,” Police Regional Office 1 (PRO1) Director Constante Azares Jr. told all the candidates in Ilocos region Monday.

For updates from around the country, follow Sun.Star on Twitter

As per Comelec guidelines, candidates may apply or request at the Joint Security Control Center (JSCC), regional or provincial level, for two police security detail. The maximum number of detailed security per candidate (mayoralty and up) is four.

Azares said if a candidate needs two more (the maximum number of detailed security per candidate is four), they may apply at protective security agents from private security groups accredited by Camp Crame.

“Let me emphasize though that these private security agents should have been trained to protect a person, not just an ordinary security guard that is being detailed to secure an establishment/building,” he stressed.

Azares expressed appreciation to the willingness of the incumbent local officials of Pangasinan gunning for re-election to submit themselves to the Comelec rules.

After turning over seven patrol vehicles to the provincial police command Monday morning in Pangasinan, the regional director presided the joint meeting of the local PNP-Philippine Army and Comelec, participated in by re-electionist mayors. This was held at the PDCC Conference Hall in Lingayen.

Present at the meeting were Pangasinan Police Provincial Director Percival Barba, Provincial Election Supervisor Reddy Balarbar, Provincial Administrator Rafael Baraan, Provincial Legal Officer and representatives from the Philippine Army.

Azares congratulated Barba for the success of the holding of the said conference, the first in Ilocos region.

“Right there and then, the Joint Security Control Center (JSCC)-provincial level was convened as the mayors present outrightly filled up the forms and applied for security detail,” he remarked.

He also commended Barba for the successful holding of the said conference.

“I would rate it 10 because all of those who were suppose to be there were present.  We had a healthy discussion on what the Commission on Election wants us to do, and we imparted to them the message of PNP (Philippine National Police) Chief Jesus Verzosa to stick to the Comelec rules,” he said.

The Pangasinan Police Provincial Office has so far recorded two arrests relative to the election gun ban.

The first was made on January 10, about 6 p.m. at the PNP-Comelec checkpoint along the provincial road of Barangay Cabion, Pozorrubio.

Arrested was Felipe Gapuz, 29 years old, a security guard residing at Barangay Palacpalac said town. Seized from his possession was a caliber .38 revolver with serial number 809698 with five live ammo. The firearm is not covered with any authority to possess and carry.

Meanwhile, Jail Officer 1 (JO1) Augusto Tudlong of BJMP Angeles City was apprehended about 9:30 p.m. Monday at a checkpoint in Sison, Pangasinan.

Confiscated from him is a Jericho pistol.  Appropriate charges have been filed against the two.