CLOSE to 1,300 photojournalists and photography enthusiasts will be joining this year’s Sinulog Festival Photography Competition.

But due to an increasing number of competitors this year, registration for the photo contest has been stopped for now but will resume on Friday, said Ricky Ballesteros, executive director of the Sinulog Foundation Inc. (SFI).

For updates from around the country, follow Sun.Star on Twitter

“On Friday, we will resume registration but will only take 50 registrants,” added Ballesteros.

A total of 1,250 photographers will be joining this year.

In this year’s 30th Sinulog Festival, Ballesteros hopes the winning photo will capture the essence of the festival in one picture.

“We want a picture that can distinguish the Sinulog Festival above other similar festivals, such as the Ati-atihan Festival in Aklan,” said Ballesteros.

Ballesteros added that this year, SFI has cited that younger photographers, like Fine Arts and Mass Communication students, are joining the contest.

The judges are from the advertising and visual arts sectors.

However, a Manila-based judge will also be part of the panel.

The grand prize winner will get P50,000 and a trophy.

For the sidelights, “higante,” puppeteers, arch, contingent, Festival Queen, religious/fluvial photos, prizes range from P 15,000 to P 1,000.

Sun.Star Cebu chief photographer Alex Badayos, who was last year’s grand prize winner, will be participating in this year’s competition.

Badayos’ 2009 winning piece is now on the cover of SFI’s official itinerary.