TWO Manila-based actresses and other persons charged for staging a bikini show in Bantayan Island, Cebu during the Holy Week last year want to settle the case with Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia.

Lawyer Rose Arnado said she met with the legal counsels of actresses Maui Taylor, Jennifer Lee and other persons whom the governor sued for allegedly violating the Province’s Women’s Code.

For updates from around the country, follow Sun.Star on Twitter

Arnado said the accused are ready to issue a public apology to the governor and the Cebuanos who were aggrieved that the show was held.

The governor had filed a criminal complaint before the Office of the Provincial Prosecutor against Taylor, Lee, event organizer Elton Tio and Rommel Solomon, owner of the resort where the show was staged, for what she described as a “shockingly indecent, vulgar and obscene” show.

In the complaint, Garcia said that Tio and Solomon violated Article 201 of the Revised Penal Code, as well as Chapter 2, Article 2, Section 19 (on pornographic and indecent shows) of the Women’s Development Code of Cebu.

Last Monday afternoon, the first round of mediation was held at the Palace of Justice.

In attendance were lawyer Maria Katrina Bote-Veguillas, counsel for Taylor; lawyer Emil Karlo Joven, counsel for Lee and four other persons implicated in the suit.

During the mediation, Arnado, counsel for Garcia, said the respondents promised not to stage such a show again in the province.

While they are willing to apologize, Arnado said the respondents are unlikely to admit they violated the Women’s Code.

Nevertheless, they are willing to comply with whatever conditions the governor might set during the mediation, Arnado said.

No date was set yet for the next mediation session.