ACNE and acne scars are one of the hardest battles that a girl has to fight in her lifetime. Spending lots of money on expensive products, treatments and doctor’s appointments, getting your hopes up and then ending up being disappointed and frustrated -- I’ve been there and I’ve done that.
Last year, shortly before turning 22, acne started to show and gather in my forehead and I had no idea why. And they didn’t go away easily. They also left dark acne scars.
I panicked and went to see a dermatologist right away. She explained that what I had was called hormonal acne or puberty acne which grows mostly on the forehead.
Luckily, amid the sea of beauty products available in the market, I’ve found the right products for me. All the products that I use are gentle and mild and affordable as well.
Here are my skincare products and simple skincare routine:
1. I wash my face twice a day with the Human Nature Nourishing Facial Wash. This facial wash is hypoallergenic and mild. I love how this cleans my skin without stripping my skin of its natural moisture.
2. In the morning, I apply Bioré UV Aqua Rich Sunscreen with SPF 50+ PA+++ on clean skin. I love this sunscreen because it’s easily absorbed by the skin and doesn’t leave any residue. It’s also water or gel based which is good for oily skin.
3. After applying sunscreen, I apply the Nature Republic Aloe Vera Soothing Gel as moisturizer. Remember that acne-prone skin needs moisture to keep it healthy and help it heal faster. It’s also lightweight and won’t clog your pores. For a soothing, cooling sensation, store this in the refrigerator.
4. I also use the Human Nature Detoxifying Mask + Scrub two-three times a week. For acne, I use it as a mask and leave it on my skin for 5-10 minutes. They will reduce in size after use. It’s organic and smells really good too.
5. And my holy grail, the Mishha Time Revolution Treatment Essence and Borabit Ampoule which comes in a kit. It helped speed up the healing of my acne scars and minimized my pores. Overall, it made a great change in my skin. It’s healthier and more glowing. I bought this and the Nature Republic Aloe Vera Gel from Jamaica Delima of House of Beauty PH, a Davao-based online seller.
For my tips: Always keep everything clean. Carry a pocket-size hand sanitizer with you to clean your hands frequently. Wipe your cellphone case with alcohol. Change your sheets and pillow cases regularly. For oily skin, use the Clean & Clear oil absorbent sheet to wipe off oil from your face instead of using tissue and handkerchief.
Put just the right amount of product on your skin and don’t go overboard with washing and scrubbing. Lastly, eat healthy and live a healthy lifestyle. Whatever we eat and drink affects our skin and how we look, so make sure to eat and drink healthy.
Now, my skin isn’t just acne and scar-free, it’s the best it has ever been. I now enjoy having blemish and acne-free skin and being at my best and most confident even without makeup.
Try my skincare products, routine, and tips and see if it’ll work for you. Just be patient and remind yourself always that true beauty comes from kindness within, and true confidence comes from self-assurance.
Andrea Isabelle Mejos is a young writer from Davao. She likes to seek beauty from all angles – people, products, places – and writes them down. For inquiries, you may contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org