BATCHMATES of retired police general and Daanbantayan, Cebu Mayor Vicente Loot, who was attacked by armed men on May 13, called on the Philippine National Police and the National Bureau of Investigation to conduct an "honest" and "unrelenting" investigation on the incident.
The Philippine Military Academy Sandigan '82 Association Inc. (PSAI), composed of members of the Philippine Military Academy Class of 1982 and honorary members, said Sunday's incident was a "cowardly attack on the constitutionally protected rights and safety" of Loot and his family.
"We appeal to the leadership of the Philippine National Police and the National Bureau of Investigation to leave no stone unturned until the solution of this crime is accomplished. This is the only way by which our people can be assured of a peaceful community to live in," the group said in a statement.
Loot's drivers and the nanny of his grandchild were wounded after the mayor and his family were attacked by armed men at a port in Barangay Maya, Daanbantayan, on the eve of the barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections.
"This defiant display of armed aggression when the gun ban is strictly imposed by the PNP cannot be countenanced as it is an affront to peace loving citizens about to participate in the democratic process of selecting their barangay elective officials," the PSAI said.
Loot said earlier that he had given investigators his information and observations on the attack.
“I gave them the leads. I trust their capability,” he said.
READ: Gunmen acted like pros, wasted no time, Loot says
Loot was tagged in 2016 by President Rodrigo Duterte as a narco-general.
His wife, former mayor Maria Luisa Loot, said though that she believes Duterte had nothing to do with the incident.
She believes, instead, that their political enemies were behind the attack. (SunStar Philippines)