A LOCAL health official announced that the cases of measles had been dramatically reduced brought about by the sustained preventive intervention programs of the Zamboanga City Government through the City Health Office.
Dr. Annie Rose Amar of the Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit of the City Health Office said they have so far recorded only two suspected measles cases in the first week of this month.
Amar said it’s an indication the intervention programs initiated by the City Health Office in partnership Department of Health (DOH) were effective.
The intervention included the house-to-house immunization targeting children aged five and below.
Amar said that the immunization has already covered 97 percent of target population.
The house-to-house immunization was launched following the declaration of an outbreak as 101 measles cases have been recorded from January 1 until February 1, this year.
The measles cases recorded for the period were higher by 1,343 percent compared to only seven cases registered from January 1 in the same period last year.
Amar said they are also conducting supplemental immunization targeting 10.8 percent of the population even as they have already gone beyond target. (Bong Garcia/SunStar Philippines)