ACTOR Phillip Salvador will stay off camera until after the national elections in 2019. But no, he is not running for any public position—at least that’s what he said during an interview with reporters last week.
Reporters chanced upon Salvador in Cebu last Thursday at the inauguration of Terminal 2 of the Mactan Cebu International Airport, which was graced by President Rodrigo Duterte.
Salvador clarified that he will not be running for office. But he wants his close friend, Special Assistant to the President Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go, to run for senator in next year’s elections.
While Go insists he is not running for senator, Salvador said Go’s prospective senatorial bid is what’s going to get him busy for about a year.
“I want him to run; that’s why I’m busy, “ said Salvador. “Kaya nga kami nagpu-push through (That’s why we are the ones pushing for this...) We are pushing him because we need somebody like him in the Senate.”
Salvador and Go have been close friends since 2004.
Salvador said he has been declining film offers because he prefers to help people.
“I’m not actually focusing on my craft right now. As a matter of fact, I’ve been offered (film projects) three times already. I had to decline because I’m doing something else that I like,” Salvador said.
But after the 2019 elections, Salvador said he would most likely return to showbiz.
The 64-year-old actor was last seen in 2015’s “Felix Manalo” starring Dennis Trillo.