ANTI-DISCRIMINATION ordinance is soon to be implemented in Iloilo City.
The ordinance “declaring unlawful acts and conduct of discrimination based on sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, descent, national or ethnic origin, and religious affiliation or beliefs, and penalizing the same,” was penned by Councilor Leizl Joy Zulueta-Salazar.
In the ordinance presented on City Council’s session on June 11, the ordinance is based on the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as to which, it prohibits discrimination in employment on the race, color, sex, or ethnic origin.
It was also schemed from the 1987 Philippine Constitution that focused on the state shall promote social justice in phases of national development, values the dignity of every human person and guarantees full respect for human rights and recognizes and promotes the rights of indigenous cultural communities within the framework of national unity and development.
Zulueta stated in the ordinance that “there is a need for the Iloilo City Government and the Ilonggos to recognize the different aspects and contexts in which discrimination may operate in work, education, provision of goods and services, living accommodation.”
Those who is liable under the ordinance will be penalized with fine of P1,000. On the second conviction will be worth P2,000 and third or any two previous convictions will be around P5,000 and imprisonment of 15 days.
A person is held responsible and punishable:
- by refusing employment to a job applicant or imposing onerous or additional terms or conditions which are not imposed on another similarly situated or circumstance, on the basis of sex, gender identity, among others
- By refusing or failing to accept any person for admission as a student in any public or private educational and/or vocational institution, or by subjecting said student to terms and conditions
- By refusing to provide goods and services and/or imposing onerous terms or conditions as requisites
- By refusing or falling to allow any person, by reason of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color of skin, descent, among others to avail of quarters or accommodation
- By subjecting either by verbal or written word or publication, to ridicule or insult or attribute despicable behavior and habits or associating with violence and criminal activities, any person or group of persons by reason of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, among others
- By refusing entry into restaurants, bars, stores, movie houses, malls and other places of entertainment and businesses which are open to the general public, or refusing or failing to attend to or serve the orders for food, drinks, beverages and other goods, or excluding or limiting the access to any facility provided by such establishment, to any person, by reason of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, among others.
- By doing any other analogous act which demeans the dignity and self-respect of a person or impairs, mars, reduces or nullifies the recognition, enjoyment or exercise of his human and legal rights and basic freedoms in the political, labor, economic, social cultural and educational spheres on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, among others.