SECTIONS
Monday, September 24, 2018
CEBU

Cebu guv says killings 'cause for great concern'

gov davide edited

CEBU Governor Hilario Davide III expressed alarm over the spate of killings in Cebu City despite the province being declared "relatively peaceful."

Davide said the last time he heard of killings with increasing frequency was back in the early 2000s, during the time when "vigilante-style killings" were prevalent in Cebu.

"For me, it is still a cause for great concern," Davide said.

He urged police to increase visibility in crime-prone areas while supporting the decision of the regional police office to recall escorts of local chief executives.

Province is still safe

Davide though has asserted that the province is still relatively safe compared to Cebu City after reacting to Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña's assessment that the city is "not so safe."

READ: Top police official disagrees, but mayor says: City ‘not so safe’

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1752392/Cebu/Local-News/Top-police-official-disagrees-but-mayor-says-City-not-so-safe

"Sa Cebu, I can say nga its still relatively safe with the absence of incidents similar to what is happening in Cebu City," Davide said.

Earlier this month, the Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO) reported that the province was relatively peaceful during the first five months of the year compared to the same period last year.

Based on CPPO records, murder incidents dropped by 29.52 percent or a total of 74 murders in January to May compared to the figures from the same period in 2017 which recorded 105 murder cases. (Justin K. Vestil/SunStar Cebu)


VIEW COMMENTS