THE Pangasinan Provincial Health Office (PHO) has recorded 4,448 acute gastroenteritis cases from January 1 to July 16 this year, 31 percent lower than the 6,416 cases in the same period last year.
Provincial Health Officer Dr. Anna Teresa De Guzman, in an interview on Wednesday, said that 24 deaths due to acute gastroenteritis have been tallied this year, the same figure as that of January to July in 2017.
“There were four mortalities from Dagupan City, while Malasiqui and San Carlos City had three mortalities each; Calasiao, Mapandan and Manaoag with two deaths each. Sual, Lingayen, Binmaley, Mangaldan, Bayambang, Sison, Urdaneta City, and Villasis with one mortaliry each,” De Guzman said.
She added that the PHO closely monitors 10 towns and cities with high number of acute gastroenteritis.
San Carlos City with 348 cases; Calasiao (269); Bayambang (251); Umingan (220); Malasiqui (215); Lingayen (210); Mangaldan (194); Sta. Barbara (170); Binmaley (159); and San Fabian (143), are under PHO’s watch list, said De Guzman.
“Infants up to four years old children are the most susceptible to acute gastroenteritis, composing 2,118 of the total number of cases this year,” she noted.
Acute gastroenteritis can be prevented by washing hands thoroughly; not eating undercooked foods especially meat; not eating raw food; boiling untreated water; and thoroughly washing fruits and vegetables before consumption, according to Medicard Philippines. (PNA)