CEBU CITY -- SPO1 Adonis Dumpit is ready to be dismissed from the police service. He is even contemplating not returning to Cebu.

Dumpit, who gave an arranged interview with a reporter of radio dyHP Tuesday afternoon, said he decided on his own to go into hiding and did not enjoy the protection of anybody.

Click here for stories and updates on the Sinulog 2010 Festival.

The controversial policeman is wanted for the murder of Ronron Go, 15, a suspected robber.

Dumpit said he is willing to surrender, but only after he gets hold of information that he claims should have been attached to court documents.

He did not tell reporter Arnold Bustamante where he is, but mentioned that he was confused if he would return to Cebu or not. He filed for a 15-day leave of absence.

If he fails to report to work after his leave expires, his superiors have the option to file an administrative case against him for being absent without official leave.

While his superiors fear for his safety in jail, Dumpit said he is not afraid to spend time there.

“Wa ko nahadlok mapriso, uy. Ang ako lang, ang tan-aw sa among organization sa PNP (Philippine National Police), labi na katong ubos og ranggo na pulis, maka low-morale. Kami pa ang mutubag og alarma, kami pa ang mapriso (I’m willing to go to jail. I’m just disappointed at how we’re treated. We respond to alarms and this is what we get?),” Dumpit said.

In a mobile phone interview with Sun.Star Cebu, Dumpit also took offense at rumors that he was spotted with Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña at a campaign sortie in Mambaling last week.

“Dako kaayo nang bakak. Iapil man ta sa away sa politika (That’s a lie. They should spare me from politics),” Dumpit said.

He added that the last time he saw Osmeña was on All Saints’ Day at a cemetery.

Dumpit said his absence did not mean he is defying the court order.

He said he is just waiting for Regional Trial Court (RTC) Judge Ester Veloso to decide on his motion asking the court to recall the warrant of arrest issued against him.

He said whatever will be the decision of Veloso, he will turn himself in.

However, the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) on Tuesday returned to the court the warrant of arrest for murder against Dumpit after the city police force failed to find and arrest him in his home address on Villagonzalo Street, Barangay Tejero.

Dumpit, through his lawyer Pedro Leslie Salva, also considered as a “mere scrap of paper” the motion the Office of the Ombudsman-Visayas filed in court seeking an explanation from top police officials in Cebu within five days why they failed to arrest him despite the arrest warrant issued against him.

Dumpit filed an opposition to the urgent ex-parte motion Graft Prosecutor Alfred Oguis filed before the RTC Branch 6 last Monday afternoon.

“There is no showing that the movant (Oguis) is duly authorized to prosecute the case. There is no authorization coming from the Deputy Ombudsman for the Military and Other Law Enforcement Offices (Moleo) directing to prosecute this instant case,” the motion read.

Last Monday, Oguis, in his two-page motion, sought show-cause orders against Chief Superintendent Lani-o Nerez, Senior Superintendent Patrocinio Comendador, Superintendent Rex Derilo, and the chief of the warrants and subpoena section of the Cebu City Police Office.

Salva said the motion of the anti-graft office “directly affects” not just the right of Dumpit “but even the very life of the accused by unreasonably forcing the authorities to arrest (the suspect).”

The motion, the lawyer said, was also in contrast to the admission in open court of the prosecution that they were “duly informed” about the downgrading of the murder charge to homicide by the military ombudsman.

Comendador, in a separate interview, said he will wait for the court to approve the motion before he will submit a report about the effort of the CCPO to serve the arrest warrant.

Meanwhile, Dumpit urged complainant Janeth Badana to give a reward to any policeman who can arrest him, to boost that officer’s morale.

As for his superiors, he said they should not take the heat for his decision to go into hiding.

He said that when Superintendent Rex Derilo approved his leave of absence, he would not have known his plan not to surrender. (MEA/JTG/GMD/Sun.Star Cebu)