THE City Government of Davao said everything is all set for the upcoming 33rd Kadayawan Festival which will open on Friday, August 10.
“We are all good to go, thanks to our private sector partners,” said Generose Tecson, Davao City Tourism Operations Office head, adding that they are 90 percent ready.
Tecson added that this year’s celebration will be more festive and “grand” compared to last year to ensure that both locals and visitors will enjoy the festivities from August 10 to 19.
“On Friday, uumpisahan ang Subang Sinugdanan Panagtagbo, a reenactment ng pagdating ng mga Moro at Lumad dito sa Davao. Then Pag-abli sa Kadayawan and talent night of Hiyas sa Kadayawan will all be held in Magsaysay Park,” Tecson announced.
Davao City Vice Mayor Bernard Al-ag assured the public about the safety of Davao during the week-long festival as they expect soaring number of tourists to visit the city.
“Davao City is very safe, with the help of our Philippine National Police (PNP), Task Force Davao, and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP),” Vice Mayor Al-ag said during an interview.
Vice Mayor Al-ag also invited the public to participate in all the prepared activities.
The Davao City Public Safety and Security Command Center (PSSCC) assured the public that security measures are already in place with the deployment of around 5,000 personnel for the celebration.
In an interview yesterday with PSSCC head Retired General Benito de Leon after the flag ceremony at the City Hall, he said security agencies in Davao City as well as emergency responders are forging efforts in preparation for the biggest festival with the influx of local and foreign tourist to celebrate with the city.
“There is an assembly of police, military and EMT [Emergency Medical Team] personnel under 911 to ensure that the Kadayawan is indeed safe and secure sa kanyang pag-conduct sa several activities for the month-long activity,” de Leon said, adding that the 5,000 exceeds the 4,000 actual personnel requirement.
The festivities will start on August 9 and a lot of activities have been lined up.
“We are confident that with the security and safety preparations as well as the support of the people of Davao, we will once again make the Kadayawan very festive and successful for all of us including those who come from outside Davao City to enjoy and participate in the merriment,” he said.
The highest number of deployment of personnel will be during the two major events - Indak-Indak sa Kadayawan and Pamulak sa Kadayawan slated August 18 and 19, respectively, at the Kadayawan Square along San Pedro Street.
De Leon also allayed the fears of tourists who are skeptical in joining the festival as he said that security measures have been intensified to prevent any eventuality.
Meanwhile, Dottie V. W ürgler-Cronin, Chair for the Public relations (PR) Committee for Kadayawan Festival, likewise underscored that security concerns are taken cared of by law enforcers.
“The PSSCC and DCPO laid out a very good plan to ensure the safety and security of all Dabawenyos, our visitors and all our participants," she said.
She likewise urged the coordination and help of the public to be alert and exercise vigilance in attending the Kadayawan activities since security is a shared responsibility.
She also said a meeting is set on Friday for security heads of different business establishments such as malls, hotels and other major establishments in the city.
Meanwhile, SM Supermalls in Davao said they will take part in the biggest festival celebration in Mindanao as they have been doing for years.
“SM Supper malls here in Davao will be home to this festive celebration and we have lined up a lot of exciting things for you starting next week,” said Aaron Dalaza, SM Group Marketing Manager, during the Kapehan sa Dabaw at SM City Davao annex.