SECTIONS
Saturday August 18, 2018
CAGAYAN DE ORO

DPWH says University owes contractor P99 million

The building at the University of Science and Technology of Southern Philippines that was left unfinished. (SunStar File Photo)

THE Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH)-Northern Mindanao has recommended that the University of Science and Technology of Southern Philippines (USTP) should pay P99 million to the contractor of the unfinished 8-storey building as its final worked done.

In its actual work-accomplishment report, the DPWH has recommended that Wing-An Construction and Development Corp. accomplished 48.86 percent of the P200-million Student Center and Education Complex building construction project before the contract was terminated last January, 2017.

The report was signed by Sabeniano Caliao Jr., Chair of the Tripartite Review Committee of the DPWH-Northern Mindanao and was sent to Dr. Ronald Adamat, chairperson of the USTP Board of Regents (BoR) last July 19.

"It is therefore recommended that the actual accomplishment of 48.86% or an equivalent amount of P97,177,259.62 be credited to the contractor Wing-An Construction and Development Corp as his final worked accomplishment," part of the evaluation report reads.

The amount excluded activities in the original contract that maybe considered as paid extra works.

"To summarize, the recommended total costs to be paid to the contractor for his actual work accomplished will be P99, 022, 879.80,"the report said.

However, Wing-An President Engineer Selwyn Lao said he will only have to collect around P45 million from USTP since there were already previous payments made.

USTP had earlier insisted that Wing-An had only finished 39.59% of the building project and had told Lao that the university would only pay for the corresponding amount.

But, Lao had contested the USTP evaluation and questioned the supposed illegal termination of the contract.

Lao said he would insist to collect the unpaid balance based on the DPWH evaluation report.

"Vindicated kami nito na hindi talaga kami ang nagloko at gumawa ng masama kasi 2 years nila ito tinatago-tago," Lao said.

Lao already sent letters to Adamat and to USTP OIC-president Rosalito Quirino last July 27, so proper actions will be taken.

It can be recalled that Lao has been claiming that the termination of the P200-million project deal was illegal even as he exposed alleged corrupt activities of some USTP officials, including the late USTP president Ricardo Rotoras.

"Ito patunay na talagang hindi totoo yung mga allegations nila sa amin at mali yung pag-terminate nila ng contract namin," Lao said.


VIEW COMMENTS