NO SIGN of cancer was found when Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña had his medical check-up in the US earlier this week, prompting his doctors to cancel his appointment with his cancer specialist.

City Administrator Francisco Fernandez told reporters yesterday he got the good news from First Lady Margot Osmeña late Wednesday night.

Click here for stories and updates on the Sinulog 2010 Festival.

City Councilor Richard Osmeña also received the same information from the Osmeñas. The message he got was that the result is “good news for me (mayor), but bad news for Guardo.”

The mayor is running for Cebu City south district congressman against businessman Jonathan Guardo in the May 10 elections.

The Osmeña couple left for Houston, Texas last Saturday for the mayor’s routine check-up at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.

Fernandez said the results showed the mayor is still cancer-free, nine months after undergoing surgery as part of the treatment of his stage IV urinary bladder cancer.

It was his third medical check-up after his urinary bladder, prostate and some 40 lymph nodes were removed.

“Results of Tommy’s checks are good, so much so that his doctor canceled the appointment with the oncologist, saying it was unnecessary,” Fernandez said, quoting Margot’s text message last Wednesday night.

Instead of having a check-up every three months, the doctors also advised setting it for every six months.

“There is no sign of cancer after the blood tests and CT scan and he was scheduled to see another specialist but it was canceled. So we are very happy about this news. Margot says they are truly blessed and are very grateful for everyone’s prayers,” Fernandez said.

Before leaving Cebu, the mayor had criticized Guardo for using his health as an election issue.

Osmeña said he is sure that Guardo will be disappointed to find out that he will be coming home cancer-free on Feb. 5. The mayor is scheduled to leave Houston today to visit friends in San Francisco, California before flying back to Cebu.