SECTIONS
Saturday, April 20, 2019

Philippines extricates warship from South China Sea shoal

In this Aug. 29, 2018, file photo provided by the Armed Forces of the Philippines, the Philippine Navy ship BRP Gregorio del Pilar is seen after it ran aground during a routine patrol in the vicinity of Half Moon Shoal, which is called Hasa Hasa in the Philippines, off the disputed Spratlys Group of islands in the South China Sea. (AP)

THE Philippine Navy extricated one of its largest warships from the shoal where it ran aground last week near a hotly disputed region in the South China Sea.

Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesperson Colonel Edgard Arevalo said Tuesday, September 4, said based on the report from Joint Task Force “Goyong” Commodore Rommel Jason Galang, the BRP Gregorio del Pilar was pulled out from the site around 11:54 p.m. on Monday, September 3.

He said inspection was ongoing in preparation for the towing of the vessel towards Subic port in Olongapo.

The frigate, which was being towed back to a Philippine port, ran aground during a routine patrol Wednesday night, damaging some of its propellers. Its more than 100 crewmen were unhurt.

READ: Philippines ship runs aground in disputed sea

AFP chief of the Public Affairs Office (PAO) ensured that the vessel have incurred minimal damage while the personnel aboard were all safe.

“(Nasira ‘yung propeller but) not the main. The rudder on the main propeller kasi sa side niya ‘yung sumayad kasi may thruster yan sa side ‘yung kapag nagmamaneuver kay un ‘yung umaandar.. (Pero umaandar siya) kaya nga ‘yung crew intact pa rin doon kasi umaandar ang makina niya. All other systems are working ... very minimal lang ang damage,” he said.

(The propeller was destroyed but not the main propeller. It was the side portion which run aground..but it is still running that is why the crew is safe. All other systems are working, the damage is minimal)

The barren shoal is on the eastern edge of the disputed Spratly archipelago, where tensions have run high in recent years after China built seven disputed reefs into man-made islands and reportedly installed missile defense systems.

Philippine defense officials notified their Chinese counterparts after the accidental grounding of the Philippine Navy frigate at the shoal, which Beijing claims, to avoid any misunderstanding, said two Philippine officials, who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the issue publicly.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said last week that China offered to help but that the Philippines would handle it.

A Chinese frigate ran aground on the shoal in 2012 and was pulled away by Chinese military ships.

Half Moon Shoal lies about 110 kilometers (68 miles) from the southern tip of the western Philippine island of Palawan and south of the disputed Second Thomas Shoal, where a Philippine navy transport ship was intentionally grounded in 1999 and has since served as a Philippine military outpost.

China has repeatedly demanded the now-rusty BRP Sierra Madre be removed from Second Thomas Shoal, which is claimed by the Philippines and China.

A military report seen by the AP said the propellers of the BRP Gregorio del Pilar were damaged by the grounding. The crew reported, however, that the frigate was not taking in water.

At least four Philippine Navy and Coast Guard ships were deployed to secure the BRP Gregorio del Pilar and provide food and other supplies to its sailors. Tugboats were hired to extricate the ship, military spokesman Col. Noel Detoyato said.

The frigate is one of three former U.S. Coast Guard cutters acquired by the Philippine military and are the Philippines' largest warships.

The United States and Asian governments which have claims in the disputed sea, including the Philippines, have raised alarms over China's island building and militarization of the strategic territory.

The Philippines has been one of the most vocal critics of China's assertive moves in the disputed waters. In 2016, it largely won a complaint it lodged before an international tribunal, which invalidated Beijing's sweeping territorial claims in the South China Sea.

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, however, took steps to revive once-frosty ties with China after he took office in 2016 as he sought infrastructure funding and more trade and investment from Beijing. (Third Anne Peralta-Malonzo with reports from AP)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!