CEBU

Cebu Archdiocese remembers Vidal

THE Archdiocese of Cebu held masses on Thursday, October 18, to mark the first anniversary of the death of the late Cebu archbishop Ricardo Cardinal Vidal.

A mass was held at 9:30 a.m. Thursday at the Mausoleum of the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral, where Vidal was buried.

On October 18 last year, Vidal was declared dead at the Perpetual Succour Hospital. He was 86. His death was mourned not just by the clergy in the country but also by other people whose lives the archbishop touched, including politicians and other prominent personalities. The Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral was packed in the seven days during Vidal’s wake.

Cebu Auxiliary Bishop Oscar Florencio said Thursday that people should not stop at missing Vidal. They should also share Vidal’s life with others.

“We missed him, I personally miss the good cardinal. But then more than that, we have to transcend from just missing him. We have to live up to his expectations. He might be gone, but his teachings should go on and we have to continue learning from him,” Florencio said.

Florencio led the mass at the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral mausoleum, where Vidal was buried. The mausoleum also houses the remains of other bishops that had served Cebu.

In his homily, Florencio said that what he learned from Vidal is the prelate’s love for his priests.

At 5 p.m. Thursday, another mass was held for Vidal at the cathedral, with Cebu Auxiliary Bishop Dennis Villarojo officiating the celebration. (FMD)


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph