MALACAÑANG dismissed as "baseless" and "speculations" the allegations that President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo is planning to appoint "allies" to the positions of Chief State Prosecutor and Ombudsman in case of future suits.
Deputy Presidential Spokesman Gary Olivar, in a radio interview, said the allegations are part of a propaganda against the President made by critics and those injecting ill motives in every actions and decisions taken by Arroyo.
"This is purely speculative... There is totally no basis or evidence for that," he said.
Olivar said apart from enduring the track record, capability and credibility of the next Chief State Prosecutor, he does not see any reason why the President would be very concern about the successor of Chief State Prosecutor Jovencito Zuño who retired February 8 after reaching the age 65.
Reports said Arroyo wants a strong allying both the prosecutors and the Ombudsman to protect her from future suits.
The prosecutors had been deputized by the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to help in the investigations and prosecution of election-related cased and would likewise sit in the board of canvassers.
Among the reported nominees for Zuño's replacement are Justice Undersecretary Ricardo Blancaflor who is reportedly backed by Executive Secretary Ermita; Senior Assistant Chief State Prosecutor Severino Gana who replaced Zuño when he was suspended; and Quezon City Chief Prosecutor Claro Arellano who is reportedly supported by the Iglesia ni Cristo.
"The replacement of chief state prosecutor as usual should be based on capability and brilliance of the person who will replace Mr. Zuño, and the Department of Justice has nothing to do with the case which will be filed against the President when she steps down from post, because this is for Ombudsman," Olivar said.
He also denied that the President wants to appoint a new Ombudsman to replace Merceditas Gutierrez to give the next official a fresh seven year term.
He said this is pure speculations and without basis. (JMR/Sunnex)